Road safety awareness initiative

‘Gifts, everyone’ campaign. No accidents!

Road safety awareness initiative

The Regional Secretariat for Education, Science and Technology is promoting the Road Safety campaign ‘Gifts, everyone’ tomorrow, from 10:30 am to 11:30 am. Accidents, none!’, on Avenida do Mar e das Comunidades Madeirans (south lane) reports JM this morning.

The road safety action, in conjunction with the Madeira Regional Command of the PSP (Polícia de Segurança Pública) and integrated into the Action Plan of the Regional Road Education Plan 2023-2024, implemented in 66 educational establishments in the Region, has the primary objective of raising awareness of the importance of road safety.

To this end, this initiative has the participation of several personalities who sponsor students at Colégio Infante D. Henrique and who, together, will alert drivers and passengers about the dangers of speeding, driving under the influence of alcohol and the use of cell phones while driving.

This action will take place during a period of more intense traffic on the roads, characterized by gatherings and hurried travel. If it was anything like this morning in the centre of Funchal, traffic is building as Christmas approaches.

“Taking into account that the reduction in road accidents essentially depends on the adoption of responsible and safe behaviours by all parties involved, this initiative aims, in this festive season, to contribute to reducing the risk of accidents and promoting safer behaviours, taking into account aim for a safer ‘Christmas with EVERYONE’ and a reduction in road accidents, according to a press release sent to newsrooms.

Road safety awareness initiative 1

A new, vastly improved “search” facility has been introduced allowing readers to search (box in the sidebar above) on any word or phrase used in any of the posts over the last sixteen years. Previously the search facility only returned matches on headings rather than the entire content. It remains to be seen whether this will slow the blog down – fingers crossed! If it works it should move the blog even further ahead of the increasing number of imitators, providing a huge resource for visitors and residents.

37 thoughts on “Road safety awareness initiative”

1. Hi there, currently on your beautiful island for my wife’s 60th birthday. We have been coming to Madeira for many years now. Every time we have crossed the bridge as above we have been stopped by people trying to sell us stuff (timeshares?). Generally they give us a smile when we say we are not interested and let us on our way. When we were here last year one individual was quite rude and aggressive to us, but he did not bother us again when we passed. Today however this was a totally different matter with another one of their sellers. When my wife and I said we were not interested he became aggressive. I pointed out that we just wanted to be left alone and that every time we walk over the bridge we cringe. He told me that if I did not like it I should F off back to Scotland where it is cold. He threatened to throw me over the bridge. His colleague, a female tried to stop him and pulled him back. This behaviour is totally unacceptable and has done nothing for Madeira. He was not a local.

• Sadly Iain this behaviour has been on the increase in many holiday spots. My wife and I encountered it many times in Malta and Tenerife to the point of annoyance. It now appears to be creeping into Madeira. Problem is that the police are unlikely to do anything but if you do encounter this behaviour in the same spot again it may be worth reporting it to the police.

• The guy is a liar and why would anyone threaten you for saying no thank you,Ive been coming to Madeira for many years and I’ve never had a problem crossing the bridge,I’ve done my own investigation into the matter,I was told the tourist was very rube and threatening to the worker ( who doesn’t work in timeshare but for a restaurant ) the tourist who complained was throwing his power around saying he’s a police officer,and why would you make a story up on this site that isn’t important to anyone.

• It seems you were not on the bridge when this incident occurred, relying only on what you were told by the Time Share reps, by then any visitors would have passed by. yet you call Mr. Erskine a liar. It seems, “You heard a different story ” “Rumour has it.” Thin evidence.
          I too was not at the scene but from the calm, well written comments and praise of the island by him, I find it hard to believe this is the man who, was very rude, threatening, throwing his weight round, saying he’s a police officer, and wishing to make the island look bad. I doubt you know everyone who works there but more intriguing is why you would start your own investigation?

• Absolute rubbish. I am no liar. After saying if I did not like it I should F off back to Scotland. He claimed he was ex SAS. I pointed out I was a retired police officer to which he referred to me as filth. I told him I just wanted to be left alone when crossing the bridge and he threatened to throw me over the bridge on more than one occasion. My wife was with me and can corroborate his actions.

• Sorry, but being a ex police officer you should know better than saying someone is in the “SAS’ on social media,not a good move because you could get stopped at the airport if the guy contacts the British government,for such a small problem could end you up in hot water,if it was me you would be arrested in the uk for saying such words on social media, good luck with that one.

• The alleged restaurant rep who you claim was German, said he was ex SAS, I didn’t know we were recruiting from Germany. Perhaps his command of English was not good and he said SS. You do talk a load of nonsense.

• Saying your a policeman and started threatening the German guy,I know everyone who works there and no one i know starts problems with tourists,I think you should get a life Mr policeman.

2. Sorry to hear that Iain! I have been away recently, but on return I’ve been overcharged in two different cafes. Both giving me change for 5€ and not the 10€ I had given them. Could be a mistake but I don’t think so. All I can say is that everything has changed both home and away! This must have upset you, but please remember it is just one maybe (under the influence) individual! I must say I feel safer here! I am pleased to be back!

• Well where is everyone to put 👍 for Helen Davis ? Your should be the other way 🖕to people like you . At every opportunity likes to make a dig at everything that involves the Madeira island and their people insulting and disrespecting constantly . In relation to timeshares many times they are from other countries and sometimes locals but they should treat people with respect and manners when approaching for any possible sale and not like that sorry for your situation .

• Then the administration should banned this person that no one knows if it is called Helen Davis or Mike or even James . People can make their comments and express their views about Madeira and their people but no country or island is perfect but no need constantly disrespecting and insulting at every opportunity and things can be said or even express in a more educated and polite way without constantly generalizing .

3. That is appalling iain. Take a video of it if it happens again and report it not only to the police but the Tourismo office. Times are getting hard as tourist number fall markedly in the run up to Xmas and some that rely on it for their livelihood will be desperate

4. Thanks all for the support. It is a shame that this individual does not represent Madeira in general and we certainly will not let it spoil our holiday. However this could be a lot more intimidating for someone with less thick skin than me. Iain

• PS. I am not sure why my comments have appeared in the road safety post – they were sent direct. The area in question is the bridge near to the Carlton Hotel.

• Owning at the Miramar, and the Royal Savoy, purchased off plan about 18 years ago, I pass over the ravine most mornings. I still see and chat to the same Time Share Rep’s that initially introduced me to Time Share. I never recommend Time Share but have been more than satisfied with my purchases. I’m occasionally still approached but my answer to the question, “Are you English?” is “Yes and I own at the Miramar.” This usually is enough. They are a nuisance but it’s a job, without them Time Share would never have got off the ground, and I’m sure none of the Rep’s in attendance that day would have thought the idiot you encountered was helping them or the industry. The best advice is to walk past and completely blank them. By the third day they recognise you and know it’s pointless. The problem is most people are too polite. Which is how I finished up with two Time Shares.

• Thanks George. I have passed the usual reps many years now and they are usually fine and you get a smile and then on your way. We told this individual we just wished peace to get on our way when he said you don’t always get what you wish for and then started his abuse. He was English and did not appear to be under the influence of anything other than an extremely poor and appalling attitude. Iain

• For one the guy wasn’t English and doesn’t work for timeshare,and the story is you were rude and threatening towards him, saying your some kind of law man, rumor is this guy was in the army for many years,so you had a lucky escape with your threatening behavior,and why would anyone threaten you for saying no thank you,if we all put things on this site about problems we have with people we would be flooded,you only make the island look bad.

5. Excellent initiative for helping young and old to learn more about road safe. But in this days the worse is the many people are crossing the roads looking constantly to their mobile phones and that can cause a lot of different type of accidents . Also should be a initiative to the drives to learn to respect the road safe that many times it is complete ignored by them and leading to serious accidents involving cars and pedestrians also .

6. I wonder if those time-sellers have appropriate work permits, remember, out is out.
    Maybe Rwanda still has room for them – and Rwanda is a much safer place than Madeira (right Mick/Helen?).

7. Just a thought….do you know what resort etc they were peddling and if so maybe it’s possible to acquaint them concerning the methods being used. Most timeshares sold in Madeira I suspect relate to respectable establishments.

8. Thanks again to most for their support. My reason for posting this was to highlight that there is a possibility of being treated in the way my wife and I were. Fortunately this was done by one individual but still frustrating as the rest of his colleagues are a bit more friendly and understanding and represent Madeira well. We love Madeira and would do nothing to harm it ( we live on a small Scottish island so understand tourism needs very well). I had hoped feedback may have got back to the individual to make him think before treating people the same way. Yes I did respond to his comments, but not in a rude manner or the way as he did to us, he did not like this and his response was to try to intimidate, bully and threaten us. I will leave it at that as I don’t want this to continue as it seems to have caused other issues I don’t want. We look forward to our next visit to Madeira.