Curral das Freiras 232 years

Parish of Curral das Freiras celebrates today

Curral das Freiras from above
Curral das Freiras

JM reports that the Parish of Curral das Freiras (Valley of the Nuns) officially celebrates its 232nd anniversary today.

The Regional Secretary of Health and Civil Protection, Pedro Ramos, representing the President of the Regional Government, will participate in the celebrations, from 9:15 am, being the time of the solemn mass in the local church.

At 11:00 am, the commemorative session takes place in the Curral das Freiras auditorium and at 11:30 am a gathering – ‘Curral das Freiras, the history and culture of a people’ – in the library.

Interestingly, during early colonization, the settlement was simply known as Curral or Curral da Serra (English: corral of the mountains), because it was known for its extensive (although difficult to access) pasture-lands, used for grazing cattle and small herds of sheep and goats. The name was subsequently altered, when these lands became the property of the nuns of the Convent of Santa Clara (between 1492 and 1497). Even then there is some discrepancy, as others credit the name change after 1566, when the nuns of the Convent famously took refuge in the valley during the French privateer attacks on Funchal.

COVID-19 in Madeira: daily updates can be found in an earlier post

Leave a comment

Translate »