Latest requirements to enter and leave Madeira
Following on from the UK’s recent announcement, it may be useful for some visitors to understand the exact procedures and requirements when entering and leaving Madeira and returning to the UK.
As rules change this post will remain updated – so if anybody has a question or wants to add some advice please feel free to leave a comment below.
1. Things to do before travelling. a)If you are vaccinated, obtain your NHS Vaccination Certificate. Either call 119(NHS Covid line) and ask for your certificate for travel purposes or by using the NHS app. Print a copy for later. You must book a Day2 PCR covid test. When you purchase this you will be emailed a serial number. Make a note of this as you will need this later when you fill in the UK Passenger Locator Form. B) If you are not fully vaccinated you must take a PCR covid test in the three days before you fly home. You must purchase Day2 and Day 8 PCR Covid tests before you arrive home. You will be emailed a serial number for the tests, note this as you will need it later. You must quarantine at home for 10 days and undertake the two tests in this period.
The Government list of approved providers is here: Test providers
1. All visitors must register on madeirasafe.com prior to entering and leaving Madeira.
This can be completed in the 48 to 12 hour period prior to boarding and must be done, individually, by each passenger, except for dependents up to 12 years old, whose registration must be included in the survey of one of the accompanying adults. Each member of a party needs an individual email address and separate mobile phone numbers are preferred. If you do not have your seat number(s) just enter 0(zero). After completing the registration, the passenger receives a notification, via e-mail, with his access code for the madeirasafe.com platform. Once you have entered all the required information you can then upload a copy of you NHS vaccination certificate and you can also upload a copy of your PCR test if you are not fully vaccinated. The passenger should log in to his madeirasafe.com account where he/she will find the respective QR Code, to be presented upon arrival at Madeira Airport. Print a copy of the QR code and have it ready to show upon arrival. Bear in mind that there are reports that the associated app itself does not always work as well as the Madeira authorities would like, and it can be helpful to have the website open in a browser as well, and the completed form and QR code printed out.
Arriving in Madeira
*Note: A mask will need to be worn during the flight and in the airport!
2. Thermal screening:
All passengers who disembark at airports in the Autonomous Region of Madeira are subject to thermal screening, without exceptions.
3. Testing for COVID-19:
ll passengers who, upon disembarking at the airports of the Autonomous Region of Madeira who carry a negative PCR test for COVID-19, carried out within 72 hours prior to boarding, in laboratories certified by national or international authorities, can proceed to their destination.
Passengers who have not undergone PCR testing at their location of origin, or who do not meet the exception criteria in 4 below, will do so upon arrival at the airport, then proceed to their destination, thus having to fully self-isolate in their accommodation until a negative test result is obtained (normally well within 12 hours).
4. Exceptions to Testing: Vaccination Certificates and Recovered COVID-19 Patients
Exceptions to the submission of a PCR test for COVID-19 or undergoing testing upon arrival at airports of the Autonomous Region of Madeira, include:
• (This will apply to most UK visitors) Passengers carrying a document certifying that they were vaccinated against COVID-19, with the Astrazeneca, Pfizer, Moderna, Janssen, Sinovac, Sputnik V and Sinopharm vaccines, according to the recommended plan, and have respected the activation period of the immune system as provided for in the Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) (14 days);
• Passengers with a medical document certifying that the bearer is recovered from COVID-19 disease upon disembarking in the territory of the Autonomous Region of Madeira, issued in the last 180 days;
• Passengers with the European Union Digital Covid Certificate, according to the information laid down in Resolution No. 694/2021 (Portuguese version). UK nationals with residency in Madeira who have been vaccinated there can access this on the SNS 24 app.
5. Onward travel to Porto Santo
Over and above the requirements for entering and leaving Madeira, this normally requires additional testing which is detailed on the visitmadeira website here.
Returning to the UK
Passenger Locator Form
Passengers travelling back to the UK must complete a passenger locator form online before arriving. You must complete the form even if you are only transiting through the UK.
You can submit the form any time in the 48 hours before you arrive in the UK. It’s free to submit the form. You will most likely have to show a copy of this prior to boarding a flight back to the UK. When filling the form in online you will need to enter the serial number of the Day2 (or Day 2 & Day 8) covid test(s). the online form can be found here: uk.gov
At one point, every traveller coming to the UK will now have to have a negative pre-departure Covid test in order to enter the country. This could be a Lateral Flow or a PCR test. The change came in at 04:00 on Tuesday, December 7th but was discontinued with effect from Jan 7th when the requiremnt was withdrawn
Day 2 Covid tests upon return
Subsequent to the arrival of cases of the new Omicron variant the U.K. government has amended (on a number of occasions!) the test requirements for ALL persons entering the U.K. The requirements are (as of January 7, 2022):-
- Anyone entering the UK will require a Lateral Flow test by the end of the second day after their arrival and will need to self-isolate until they have a negative result.
This requirement applies to all irrespective of your vaccination status.
If the test result is positive, you must self-isolate for 10 full days. The day you took the lateral flow test is day 0. Members of your household may also be asked to self-isolate.
The UK and constituent countries
Please bear in mind that the new measures announced yesterday currently only apply to England. Other home countries are expected to follow suit shortly.
Printing documents in Funchal. Most hotels will help clients with printing documents that may be needed for the return journey. There is a Cyber café opposite Jaime Moniz school behind the Mercado and there is a chap that runs a small stand selling toner cartridges just inside the entrance to Anadia Shopping that will print documents at 10cents per page.
Part of this article was used by the copyblog the day after being posted here
COVID-19 in Madeira: daily updates can be found in an earlier post