Reid’s Palace. Euro undermined. CR7.

Reid’s Palace

Another favourable review of Reid’s Palace in the Telegraph a few days ago.

Telegraph headlin on Reid' Palace

The article recalls that the hotel was built by Scotsman William Reid in 1891 and immediately attracted a parade of European royalty and English aristocracy – apparently, to this day, the two tiers of the Dining Room are still referred to as ‘The Lords’ and ‘The Commons’. The travel section of same newspaper also ran a story last month on

“The spectacular country houses that offer a window on Madeira’s past”

The gardens at Quinta Vigia

These included Quinta Vigia, which was featured here recently, and Quinta da Boa Vista. The Telegraph reporter had the pleasure of meeting Betty Garton, who is in her nineties but still runs the orchid gardens at Quinta da Boa Vista – as indeed I did when reporting on the gardens in 2012. A remarkable woman!
Interestingly the author of the latter article explains that he was inspired to come to Madeira and learn about these historic properties by a book written in 2004 by Marjorie Hoare – a family friend from Gibraltar, where he grew up – who had been evacuated to Madeira during the Second World War (I think the book is still available on Amazon?). I had no idea that 2,000 Gibraltarians were relocated to Funchal to make way for more military personnel on the Rock.

Euro under pressure

Euro crumblingOne of the influential foreign exchange blogs reports how the Euro is being undermined by on-going political concerns ahead of the Italian political reform referendum due in two weeks. In addition the European Commission has warned that eight Eurozone countries are at risk of breaking EU rules because they have budget deficits greater than the permitted 3% margin. With some of the culprits having already had EU fines waived for missing budget targets last year, Euro critics will argue that the EU loses credibility if it agrees rules and then fails to enforce them.
The Wall Street Journal reports that a rejection of Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi’s referendum on Dec. 4 could rattle stocks, bonds and the euro—and set a damaging tone for Europe

CR7 again

Cristiano RonaldoCristiano Ronaldo wrote more history yesterday in the Madrid derby, with yet another hat-trick, as Real Madrid won 3-0 away at Atletico Madrid. His goals on 23, 71 and 77 minutes saw him overtake Di Stéfano as the leading scorer in Madrid derbies. Another ball heading back to the display of hat-trick balls in his Funchal museum! He very near scored another last week for Portugal, missing a penalty but still ending up with two goals to his name.
Meanwhile the Diario reports that Benfica qualified for the knock-out stages of the Taça de Portugal after “trouncing” Maritimo 6-0 at the Stadium of Light in Lisbon yesterday. That will not have been a happy plane full of footballers back to Madeira!

15 thoughts on “Reid’s Palace. Euro undermined. CR7.”

1. Regarding the Gibraltarians relocated to Funchal during WWII, there is a commemorative stone close to the Santa Caterina chapel at the end of the Gardens which is well worth seeing and reading. It is written in both Portuguese and English and is, incidentally, one of the few notices in English on the island to boast a good translation into English. With so many British people living and visiting Madeira, several of whom could surely assist, the poor quality of most English translations compared to other places in the world is a feature worth remedying in my view.

2. This blog being a good example of course, but fewer errors than it used to be.

Why do you english speakers want everything gift wrapped …. you come to Madeira complaining when nearly all the english can’t be bothered to speak other languages. We will translate for you what we want you to read and in our own way, and if you don´t like it then buy a portuguese dictionary.

3. Well said Jorge, we know many British people who have lived in Madeira for over 20 years and still don’t even say please or thank you in Portuguese – it is a disgrace!!. Portuguese is a difficult language to master but the Madeians really appreciate it if you try.
    How many British could translate Portuguese to English perfectly – don’t complain and appreciate the fact that some one has done their best to translate so the Brits can understand.

4. I totally agree with the points made by both Sally and Jorge about the need for us Brits to speak other languages, including Portuguese. Tento falar Português sempre eu visitar a Madeira. But, with respect, that was not the point I was making. If a translation is to be offered, in churches, museums and in public notices, it is important that the translation is professional and worthy of the original language. If I may be allowed to make an example, in the fascinating new Museum of Printing in Camara de Lobos clearly a significant amount of money has been spent on signage but not enough on ensuring that the translation accurately reflects the Portuguese in idiomatic English. That is not a matter of ‘gift-wrapping’, more of facilitating better understanding. Desculpe e obrigada.

5. Perhaps you should offer your services to assist in the translation of whatever notices you feel are not up to scratch Maggie.

Love your posts Jorge. So many of them state exactly what I myself think that I wonder if you are able to read my mind!

6. We have a villa in Madeira and come over quite often. I have tried to learn Portuguese, but it’s tough when you are older. After saying that I get along reasonably well and always greet people in Portuguese and also order food in Portuguese. Trouble is they always reply in English, invariably with a South African accent. 🙂

7. I have been coming to Madeira for many, many years and speak a little Portuguese but I must say that the norm recently has been for a Portuguese speaker to ignore your attempts (the younger-end sometimes smile between themselves) and just reply in English! I once spent ten minutes having a battle with a woman in Machico – I insisted on speaking Portuguese and she insisted on English. Try learning when this happens to you.

8. English … God’s language! Haha!
    In my experience, and as a fluent French & German speaker, also attempting to learn Portuguese, speaking in the language of the country one visits, if it’s not English, is welcomed, as it indicates respect and a willingness to try. Responses by people in English indicate respect, acknowledgement of the attempt and the opportunity to practise and hone their English. (Plus, maybe, not embarrassing the English native by rattling off a lot of what may then be incomprehensible!) Communication and friendliness is all. ?

9. The biggest problem here is that as the island’s economy becomes entirely reliant on tourism, the younger generation that have/want jobs speak English. In Funchal, it is difficult to find somebody who isn’t fluent! – so it becomes a self-fulfilling circle – why should the tourist bother, other than a gesture of respect. Bear in mind the majority of tourists do not have English as their native tongue, so they are already speaking a second language.

10. My Portuguese often raises a smile.
    I used to say my Portuguese is “Porco”
    I couldn’t understand why everyone kept laughing.
    Then I was told Porco is Pig. 🙂
    Should be Poco of course.

11. I think you mean pouco Mick.

Carlos, it´s seems you don´t know Funchal well, so I guess you are not from here. Whilst the majority of people that work in contact with tourists speak fluent english, to say that the majority of the Funchalenses speak fluent english is just not true. I live in Funchal, and people in my social and work circles don´t speak fluent english, and what they do know has been forced on them by the media and the influx of the english language into Portugal. Those Madeirans that are employed in comerce and tourism to speak with tourists are recruited because they have language skills.

If you think you could go into a backstreet café in Monte, or São Roque or the back end of Santo António and walk around talking english I think you will have a big surprise.

12. Problem as a visitor speaking only a tiny Portuguese is I am lost when someone replies to me in Portuguese.
    In respect of Madeira youngsters command of English I might find it easier to learn Portuguese if I had been brought up on films with Portuguese soundtrack and English sub-titles as they have in reverse.

My big annoyance is those few ex-pats who, having no Portuguese, complain about immigrants to the UK not being able to speak English completely missing the irony of what they are saying.

Separately I recently spoke to a waiter in Lisbon who complained that Lisbonites? could not understand him because of his accent

Finally – only a few weeks to January and our return after having to miss out last winter and can’t wait to try the miniscule language I have

13. And with the Rain starting now ….. Yellow warning from 23:59 until tomorrow at 09:59 for coastal areas and I see recently upped to Orange for the hills/Mountains – same time scales.
    Wet and cool then = MORE snow on the Hills? Some high roads were closed yesterday…..