RS:X European Windsurfing Championships Madeira: 24 Feb-1 March 2012;

Portugal and Madeira News from Paul Abbiati:

RS:X European Windsurfing Championships Madeira: 24 Feb-1 March 2012

The Diario Newspaper reports on the event and the Press Conference in Lisbon next week.

“-One ocean
-200 participants from 30 nations
-7 days of races
-RS:X boards that can reach 30 knots
-Preparation for the Olympic Games 2012 in London
-15 days of free Try-Windsurfing activities (sessions on the water and dry
land simulator)
-Benefits in terms of tourism, destination profiling and tangible economic
impact..”

link to official website: http://www.clubenavaldofunchal.com/europeursx2012.aspx?Printerfriendly=1

link to Diario article: http://www.dnoticias.pt/impressa/diario/287345/desporto/287433-europeu-de-rsx-apresentado-em-lisboa

RS:X Women’s Training Camp In Madeira, March 2011:

Men’s Training Camp in Madeira in 2011:

12 thoughts on “RS:X European Windsurfing Championships Madeira: 24 Feb-1 March 2012;”

1. The health ministry’s budget is being cut by double the amount required under the terms of Portugal’s EU/IMF bailout. It has cut down on organ transplant-related costs, costs with chronically ill patients (in particular patients that require haemodialysis), and it increased the rates one must pay to access healthcare. Previously some people (pensioners, low-income families, blood donors, unemployed citizens) didn’t have to pay. Now, most people will not only have to pay, but will actually pay in some cases seven times the previous cost.
    Unemployment benefit is being cut, and will be paid for a shorter amount of time.
    Higher taxes are expected to hamper the vital tourism sector, with about 120,000 people expected to lose jobs in restaurants and hotels, according to the sector’s associations.

2. Tom Thanks for the information, it don´t look good. I was talking to someone from the Island and he thinking of looking for work overseas. The rule seams to be on some small islands is leave to better waters. This been going on though out a island history. Now it makes sense why so many Rich people houses has risen in the housing estates.

• Madeira always has been a island of emmigration, and there are more Madeirans off Madeira than on. The last few years it has got much worse, with the shortage of work, and especially youngsters are leaving in droves. The beneficiaries of this are the Regional Government, who are able to report that although the unemployment here is high, it is reasonably under control, because they don’t have to count those who have left the island to find work elsewhere. Add to that the unemployed who no longer ‘sign on’, because their benefits have been cut through central governmemt austerity measures, and therefore there is no longer an incentive to ‘sign on’. These are also now excluded from the GR statistics. So, next time Berties gang report the stable unemployment levels on Madeira, you can probably double it, at the very least.

3. Lots of my friends are looking for work and leaving Madeira and going to the UK or France,One who is a nurse has left and now works in Chelsea, low pay and high increases is the main factor when choosing to leave Madeira. It is a shame they have to leave their home and family to make ends meet. property here is going to be expensive for most local people and all I can see is more flats being built which are not cheap for a young couple wanting to get a foot on the property ladder like the Uk they need a hefty down payment here it is at least 60% even 80% in some cases, even school teachers who are on a decent salary I was told were turned down for a mortgage last week.

4. I can understand people leaving Madeira to go to the UK for better paid jobs (plus I doubt they want to continue the tradition of farming the terraces) but despite the jobs being better paid (if you can get one) the cost of living in the UK is a lot higher so it is swings and roundabouts. We would certainly be struggling in the UK with council tax, oil heating bills, running two cars, electricity, water etc etc. We had German guests recently who were doctors and their colleagues work all week in Germany and actually fly to the UK to do weekend shifts in the NHS to make extra money. Must be costing the NHS a fortune!

5. I can only add that with the number of vacant, unsold apartments on the market here (again another misuse of EU funds, diverted to Bertie & Co.) combined with the number of bank repossessions and the recession, then I feel it unlikely that we will see any more rampant and unnecessary building ….. so many vacant apartments with no means to buy.

6. As I sit here watching the slightly less than full moon rise above the sparkling bay of Abra I muse on the reasons why folk leave this Island …. and as to the reasons that I came/was able to settle here….

Reasons for leaving Madeira: Economic? Yes, a lure of gainful and renumerative employment without doubt but surely more than this, maybe a promise of “free” council housing, free dental care for the children and free health care for all …. mmmmm?
    I wonder.

Today we spoke with a “returning” Madeiran lady who had done just the same – ventured to the U.K for the bright lights and all ….. but she got pregnant and could not continue going to work, her employers terminated her unofficial work, her lodgings were cold, damp, cramped and shared and she was enslaved – as she said, in slave labour.

So, she returned, got a job in Modalfa (as a “lowly” shop assitant – and boy. is she good) and is MORE than happy living here once again – there IS a social security system here, there IS social housing and there are people who care . plus she is HAPPIER here than in the U.K. Warmer in the physical sense and in the mental sense.

I don’t have all the answers but I do know that society here is so much more tolerant, SAFER and despite my protestations aginst Bertie, it’s a kinder place to live.

Me? I worked for many years, then sadly gained a medical pension but moved to the country of my choice, where I now encourage others to enjoy, holiday, interact and live here – Oh and I work pretty darned hard to earn the extra monies needed to stay here = LUCK ? No, just a comittment to this Island and its lovely people.

The grass is always greener on the other side = but sadly it is willting in the U.K (and just as hard to cut).

It is NOT perfect here but ….. I have never known such lovely, friendly and welcoming people – times is hard m’dear, for us all.

U.K. work contracts for professionals? Check the small print, length of tenure and associated cost of “local” living and actual housing arrangements – health benefits? Tricky, well over subscribed and overworked – join the queue, be prepared to wait and to be seen by a non national locum doctor! Free dental care? NOT so likely.

Living here, Loving it, loathing the world but lending a hand, hopefully.

7. I agree with you Jon it is wilting in the UK and at a fast rate.

NHS was about care now Nurses are caring less and less due to paper work and targets , I can say that as I am in the health care profession, its not about people anymore sad to say, in comparison had to visit the hospital in Funchal around breakfast time, examined by the doctors assessed treated and given a coffee with a breakfast roll,out within three hours with medication in hand.
    Though the ward had curtains holding on by a thread only two nurses on that ward, several elderly people who were in a bad way and demanding the staff had a smile and were very attentive I cannot fault the care they gave me.