TODAY’S PHOTO : Thanks to Jonathan … an Easyjet flight

Front Page News : source Diário de Notícias 28/12/2008

The main headline today is “Women more penalised by the low pensions”. Referring to old age retirement pensions where women have stayed at home to raise families, or have had little opportunity to go to work outside of the home in a ‘macho’ world, as it was then. Maria is 71 years old, and receives a pension of just €93 (I assume that is a month) whilst her husband receives €300. She worked at home doing embroidery work to help support the family, as well as working their land to put food on the table. There are many other women in the same situation, and 40,000 people receive pensions below the minimum wage. I guess that things are changing now with younger generations of women able to go out work, but you have to feel sorry for people on such low pensions, but they were victims of an old culture rather than a gender biased benefits system. Nether-the-less the state should do more to help, but I am not clear whether the social security system here can help poor people in retirement.

2009 is set to be a good year for those in permanent employment, with the possibility of having 150 days off of work due to the way the public holidays fall. Five of the 17 public holidays fall on weekends. Another five fall on Tuesdays and Thursdays, giving the possibilities for ‘bridge days’ which join the public holiday to the weekend, but normally depend on the generosity of the boss. Anyway it is a long and detailed analysis, but add together 104 weekend days, 25 days annual leave, 12 public holidays, and another 9 they come up with (4 of which I an not clear on) then with a lot of luck and a kind boss, then you have the magic 150. It was a really pointless article really as the headline reads “Half of 2009 is going to be to relax”, but according to my maths that would need  183 days off! Add to that the fact that this year the ‘days off’ would have come to 154, so a reduction is not much cause for joy really. If you want the dates of the 17 public holidays you can find them here, or if you can’t access the chart here email me and I will send them to you.

Another article about the ‘São Silvestre’ race last night that  was due to have over 1,000 participants. Naming some of the athletes that took part. Two athletes that conquered medals in the Olympic Games in Beijing – the Kenyan Richard Mattelong, ‘bronze’ in the 3,000 meters obstacles and Eunice Jepkorir, ‘silver’ in the same distance, and other European and world champions ‘of quality’.

Finally, another article about the weather and the damage caused by the winds and heavy rain. Various rockfalls have blocked roads and disrupted traffic around Funchal, where council workers and firemen have had a busy few days, and damage has been caused to several buildings. In São António the force of the water was so strong in the drains that a steel drain cover was lifted off the road which then resulted in an accident.

Other News :

According to a dentist specialising in dental implants Portugal has one of the worse dental care records, where the numbers of toothless people ‘is frightening’. Three out of 4 people over the age of 65 have missing teeth, and there are many with no teeth at all. No great surprise really, as there are many poor people who never see a dentist in their lives, due to the high relative cost of treatment compared to earnings, and the fact that dentistry is outside of the state health system. Talking to a man in town a couple of weeks ago, he wiggled one of his front teeth to show me one just about hanging on. I asked if he was going to the dentist and he said no, because it was too expensive. How can one eat with that thing flicking up and down with every chew … beats me!

Lots of political stories still, despite the Christmas break in the regional assembly, but all chewing over old stories.

I got it wrong about the official sales dates, they started yesterday and run to the end of February. Anything called ‘Saldos’ (sales) is governed by law and can only take place within the permitted dates in Winter and Summer, but a shop owner can call it ‘promoções’, ‘discontos’ etc. at any time of year.

www.madeira4u.com

Aside from your valued blog responses (you can reply direct using the form at the bottom of each blog comments page), please send any unreported Madeira news, topical photos, events information, or snippets for the madeira4u blog to [email protected] – anyone can join in! Thank you!

16 thoughts on “Women on low pensions, 2009 holidays, Weather damage, Toothless pensioners, & other snippets”

1. They do have a big problem with teeth over here, its one of the things i noticed the most, and its not just the old , the young have problems as well, and to be honest i have yet to find a good dentist here, i think they just want your money and thats it , they dont even clean them properly, i would sooner pay a dentist in the Uk each time i go.

If anyone does know a good dentist, and please not Brazilian, let me know.
    –Tobi

2. OMG Tobi – great subject dentistry seeing as I have a cracked back tooth and am hanging on until I go back to the UK as my endless trips to the dentist earlier this year completely put me off going back and sorting this one out. I had to have two root canals which cost a fortune and on one visit the dentist forgot to numb the tooth before working on it so half way through the treatment she decided to inject me and shoved the needle right into the root of the tooth and I nearly shot out of the chair like a bullet – after that extremely painful and barbaric episode it was a miracle that I went back to finish the treatment and now I have little faith in dentists here who seem to have very little knowledge or aptitude for what they are doing and charge an arm and a leg. My treatment in total came nearly 500 bucks and my two back teeth are still not right. So, Tobi, best to wait until your next UK visit in my opinion!
    –Sam

3. I have one of these DIY dentist's kits in case of emergency. Luckily I have not needed it yet, but just knowing it is there gives me reassurance. I think if I ever need expensive treatment I will probably fly away and get it done.

The only time I used a dentist here was on holiday years ago, when all I had was a quick look over and a prescription for antibiotics, and the bill was over €100.
    –Der

4. Yes im thinking the same Sam & Der , i just would like them cleaned , but the last time i had this done i think i could have done a better job with a fork…
    –Tobi

5. Havn't been to them myself, but I am told that the dentist in Monumental Lido shopping medical centre is very good, and has been highly recommended by several people I know and sometimes don't charge if it is very small treatment!!!!!!!!
    –jeanne

6. Yes Jeanne, i had forgotton they have a dentist there, might be worth a try , i know tourist have alot of praise for the place, i work in the centre to so very handy.
    –Tobi

7. New Year's Eve – on tv they are advertising Elton John and Phil Collins. Ok my query is where in Funchal will they be performing? Secondly where is the best place to see the fireworks?
    –Beryl

19th to 22nd March
    Madeira Flower Festival
    25th April – The Wall of Hope Ceremony
    26th April – Great Allegoric Parade
    Atlantic Festival
    6th, 13th, 20th and 27th June – Fireworks Contest
    XXII Volta à Madeira – Classic Rally (FIVA Worldrally)
    9th to 12th June
    Madeira Wine Rally (European Rally Championship)
    31st July to 2nd August
    Madeira Wine Festival
    3rd to 6th September – Shows and Exhibitions in Funchal
    5th September – Live Harvest in Estreito de Câmara de Lobos.
    Columbus Festival – Porto Santo Island
    10th to 12th September
    End of the Year Madeira Festivities
    1st December to 6th January, 2010 – Christmas Lights, Decorations and Exhibitions
    31st December – New Year’s Eve Firework Display
    –Sarah

9. Provisional calendar for 2010

Tourist Entertainment Calendar
    2010 (provisional)
    Madeira Islands Walking Festival
    January, 2010 (date not confirmed)
    MOF 2010 – Madeira Orienteering Festival
    January, 2010 (date not confirmed)
    Carnival Festivities
    13th February, 2010 – Great Allegoric Parade
    16th February, 2010 – Fun Parade
    Madeira Island Open (PGA European Tour) – Porto Santo
    March, 2010 (date not confirmed)
    Madeira Flower Festival
    17th April, 2010 – The Wall of Hope Ceremony
    18th April, 2010 – Great Allegoric Parade
    Atlantic Festival
    5th, 12th, 19th and 26th June, 2010 – Fireworks Contest
    XXII Volta à Madeira – Classic Rally (FIVA Worldrally)
    June, 2010 (date not confirmed)
    Madeira Wine Rally (European Rally Championship)
    30th July to 1st August, 2010
    Madeira Wine Festival
    2nd to 5th September, 2010 – Shows and Exhibitions in Funchal
    4th September, 2010 – Live Harvest in Estreito de Câmara de Lobos.
    Columbus Festival – Porto Santo Island
    9th to 11th September, 2010
    End of the Year Madeira Festivities
    1st December to 6th January, 2011 – Christmas Lights, Decorations and Exhibitions
    31st December, 2010 – New Year’s Eve Firework Display
    –Sarah

10. Hay Sarah I hop you didn't ripe all that three times !!!!!!!!
    Beryl Janice (wife) and I are having the same problem. Last year we stood on hotel roof right on the city center and it was great but this year we would like the real Madeira with the locals.
    Hi Der, bit bouncy at the airport today but who cares it's great to me back.
    Cheers
    Slang

11. Thanks for the marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and will come back in the future. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great posts, have a nice day!